The Life’s Little Treasures Foundation is Australia’s foremost charity dedicated to providing support, friendship and information, specifically tailored for families of children born premature or sick.
The Foundation’s services are available in hospitals (neonatal and special care units) and in the community when families come home.
It was founded in 2005 by parents, all of whom had a sick or premature baby. They realised how important it was for families to have access to information and a community they could identify with and feel apart of. Someone who understood the challenges that they faced.
Having a child that is sick or premature can be a very traumatic rollercoaster ride and the Foundation strives to give families the support and assistance they need.
The Facts Are:
- Premature birth is the number one killer of newborns.
- Over 48,000 babies are admitted into neonatal intensive and special care units every year in Australia.
- This is over 14.5% of all babies born and translates to over 115 admissions every day.
- 1300 of these babies weigh under 1000grams – less than a bag of sugar.
View the Prematurity in Austalia statistics infographic HERE
To ensure that all families enduring the difficult and life changing experience of having a premature or sick baby have easy access to critical information and community support to help make a difference to them and their child.
The Life’s Little Treasures Foundation believes that providing information and education to parents & professionals is key to providing best outcomes for premature and sick babies and most importantly enables families to become their child’s advocate
Watch our video below on the Foundation & the crucial work we do
The Foundation provides extensive support for families and their babies through:
- Informative website and information sheets
- iPhone & Android apps which provide critical medical information for NICU and SCN
- iPhone app which helps parents track their premature baby’s development
- Free hospital Resource Folder for families “A Guiding Hand to NICU & Special Care”
- Free hospital Tip Sheets – providing families with quick relevant information
- Free hospital Reading Program – “Books and Bubs”
- Free interactive Webinars designed to provide professionals & families access to the latest information & resources for a child’s development.
- Newsletter which provides parents with updated and relevant information (2 editions a year)
- Education based information seminars
- “Treasure Time” community support & playgroups
- Hospital support for families
- 24 hour support line 1300 MYPREMMIE
- Parent Support Network
- Online community through Facebook/Twitter
- Family social activities/events (incl annual National Charity Fun Run /Walk -“Walk for Prems”)
- Financial and Material “Family Assistance Programs”, assisting families both in hospital and at home, throughout Australia
- Access and encouragement for family involvement in relevant and current research
To Learn more about what the Foundation does and how it can assist you, please visit the area relevant to you