The Life’s Little Treasures Foundation is Australia’s leading charity dedicated to providing support, friendship and information, specifically tailored for families of children born premature or sick.
The Foundation’s services are available in the hospital (neonatal and special care units) and in the community when families come home.
It was founded in 2005 by parents, all of whom had a sick or premature baby. They realised how important it was for families to have access to information and a community they could identify with and feel apart of. Someone who understood the challenges that they faced.
Having a child that is sick or premature can be a very traumatic rollercoaster ride and the Foundation strives to give families the support and assistance they need.
The Facts Are:
- Premature birth is the number one killer of newborns.
- Over 45,000 babies are admitted into neonatal intensive and special care units every year in Australia.
- This is over 14.5% of all babies born and translates to over 115 admissions every day.
- 1300 of these babies weigh under 1000grams – less than a bag of sugar.
To ensure that no family endures the traumatic and life changing experience of having a premature or sick baby without easy access to critical information and community support to help them through their journey
Currently the Foundation supports families and their babies through:
- Informative website and PDF information sheets
- iPhone app which provides critical medical information for NICU and SCN
- iPhone app which helps parents track their premature baby’s development
- Free hospital survival folder for parents
- Electronic home survival guides & e-newsletters
- Education based information seminars
- Community support groups
- 24 hour support line 1300 MYPREMMIE
- Parent support network
- Online community through Facebook/Twitter
- Family social activities/events (incl annual National Charity Fun Run /Walk -“Walk for Prems”)
- Financial “Giving Programs”, assisting families both in hospital and at home, throughout Australia
- Access and encouragement for family involvement in relevant research
The Life’s Little Treasures Foundation believes that providing information and education to parents & professionals is key to providing best outcomes for premature and sick babies and most importantly enables families to become their child’s advocate.
Register your “Precious Prem” now as a Little Treasure and receive our comprehensive information pack containing;
- Informative publications including our parent guide and resource booklet which outlines community services available for babies born sick/premature.
- Quarterly newsletter which provides parents with updated and relevant information
- Life’s Little Treasures Foundation Tote Bag
To register click here
Your support also allows the Life’s Little Treasures Foundation to provide
- Informative web site
- Supportive parent network to match like parents together for support
- Support groups/morning teas free of charge at various venues including hospitals and community settings.
- Support line for families – 1300 MYPREMMIE (1300 697 736)
- Social occasions and events
To Learn more about what the Foundation does and how it can assist you, please visit the area relevant to you